17 December 2009

About Me

I don't think you want to read my resume. Particularly since I last updated it back in 1999 and it deals with very technical issues. Instead, I'll give you the shortened version of how I came to pursue a writing career.

My technical career included positions as lab tech, graduate student, materials quality engineer and server systems quality & reliability engineer. I left the workforce in 2001 to focus on my family.

Which brings me to writing, the next stage of my career. I love reading books and figured I'd give it a shot and see if I could do it. And it seemed compatible with the way I want to be available for my children - being  available for the many school and after-school activities that kids have.

Leaving the workforce did not mean I left my interest in science, engineering and technology behind. I keep my finger on the pulse of innovation via the internet, newsletters, podcasts, websites and blogs. Additionally, as the mother of three fun and bright children I have plenty of practice answering questions about the world in which we live and how it works.

In 2008 I began reading craft books and started my first novel by participating in NaNoWriMo. At first I didn't know what to think of the writing process. Now, at the end of 2009 and two novels drafted, I can't stop thinking of what to write and how to improve my writing. It's all very exciting and fun.

Given my fetish for technology and science, my writing process utilizes various technologies like the internet, online courses, computers, my iPhone, books - both paper and electronic, and plain old paper and pens. Most of which I plan to muse about on the blog as well as my current WIP, books I've read, tools I use and how writing intersects with my everyday life.

And just in case you haven't detected a theme yet, science and technology feature prominently in my life and in my stories.

No comments: