01 November 2009

First Day of NaNoWriMo

Today was a good day for the NaNoWriMo players/writers in our household.

My 8 year old son, at last count, had nearly 588 words typed into the computer. My 6 year old daughter used the time in the car to and from shopping with her dad to write out her first three chapters with pencil and paper. I'll type it up for her tomorrow and have a count, but I'd guess she's got close to 100 down. Poor thing, when she got home, she had a fever of 102F. Not sure how much more writing she'll get done in the next few days.

Me? I finished my day with 5,382 words, which accounts for the first five scenes of my story. Thanks to the hubby for picking up the slack today which let me get so many words down! A great start for sure. (And a good thing too, with a fever ailing one child, it's sure to affect the others, keeping me busy.)

I'm using techniques I learned in my writing course, How to Think Sideways. And I have to say, writing this novel is soooo much easier than last year's NaNoWriMo novel.  I suspect the pre-work done with the exercises from the course is the biggest contributer to the difference. It could just be that the second novel is easier. Who knows, but it's working.

And a quick note to fellow NaNoWriMo'ers out there: Good luck and keep those words flowing!

No comments: