30 September 2009

Banned Books

It's Banned Books Week, a week to remind us to read books that have been banned from certain libraries because some people found them objectionable. Here is a short list of books that have been banned in recent years.

How many of the books listed have your read? What books on the list would you miss?

Me? Enough to know that I'm glad that these books were not censored everywhere. The Harry Potter Series, come on - I don't know how many times I've reread those books.

Another book, The Bridge to Terabithia, I read for the first time last year. To me, it was a story about finding the magic of friendship, even if it is with someone unexpected. And how powerful and healing that magic becomes when shared with those around you; friendship can carry you through the valleys of life as well as at the mountain peaks. The story delivered a very moving message that broke my heart; I couldn't keep from bawling.

Just because you don't agree with the message of a book, doesn't mean that you have the right to keep others from reading it. Everyone has the right to access of media and to decide for themselves how they feel about it. Nor should others deny you your right and choice.

I've encouraged my son to read The Bridge to Terabithia and I encourage everyone else too. And when you're done with that book, I encourage you to pick another from the list.

No comments: